Skip to content
Stop Collections
Free Legal Help

Where to Report an FDCPA Violation

Stop the

You have legal rights. We can help.


Many people acquire debt at some point in their lives. If your debt was sold to a third party debt collection agency, you may feel overwhelmed by the agency’s tireless efforts to get you to pay. It is important to know that there are regulations on the actions a debt collection agency can take.

The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) prohibits collection agencies from employing certain tactics, such as making threats or calling in the middle of the night. If a debt collection agency has violated a provision of the FDCPA, you should report this violation to the appropriate authority.

Where to Report

Where you report an FDCPA violation depends on what laws are being violated. In general, because the FDCPA is a federal law, violations can be reported to government agencies. However, if a state law is being violated in addition to the FDCPA, you can also report the violation to your state attorney general.

Other Options

If you wish to negotiate a settlement with the debt collection agency, the Better Business Bureau can aid you in negotiating a dispute. In addition, if you feel that your rights under the FDCPA have been violated, you can file a lawsuit against the collection agency. An FDCPA attorney can help you with your claim and increase your chances of success.

Here is more information on what to do if you would like to report a specific agency for violating the FDCPA:

Free Case Evaluation

    1. Please fill out your contact information:

    2. Has a debt collection done any of the following:

    By submitting above, I agree to the privacy policy and disclaimer and consent to be contacted by an agent via phone call or text message at the phone number(s) listed above, including wireless number(s). Calls may be auto-dialed/pre-recorded. Consent is not required to utilize our services.