Skip to content
Where to Report an FDCPA Violation
Free Legal Help

Where to Report a Violation by the Municipal Services Bureau*

Stop the

You have legal rights. We can help.


Many people borrow money from loan companies. If you have defaulted on your loan repayments and the Municipal Services Bureau has sent a debt collector to get you to complete your repayments, the debt collector is limited in what s/he can do by the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA). This is a federal law which places restrictions on debt collectors’ behavior so that your privacy is protected.

One of the important aspects of the law is that the debt collector cannot come to your home when s/he pleases and there is a restriction on the number of times contact can be made. If the debt collector breaks the FDCPA, you can file a lawsuit and claim compensation and the cost of the attorney’s fees.

How to Report a FDCPA Violation by Municipal Services Bureau

If a debt collector from the Municipal Services Bureau violates the FDCPA, the first thing you can do is file a complaint to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB). This operates as an independent government entity which is given the responsibility of enforcing laws that protect consumers. After the CFPB receives your complaint, it checks to see if there are any other complainants against the Municipal Services Bureau and then penalizes the loan company for breaking the law. Alternatively, you can make a complaint to your state’s Attorney General’s Office, which can take legal action if the debt collector has violated state fair debt collection law.

How the Better Business Bureau Can Help in Negotiations Over Disputes

Mediation between you and the Municipal Services Bureau is often a preferred choice to solve a debt collector issue, and this is what the Better Business Bureau (BBB) can do for you. If you contact them they can not only assist you but they also can put out an alert warning others about the practice of debt collecting that the Municipal Business Service uses.

Where to Report a Violation by the Municipal Services Bureau*

Filing a Lawsuit Against Municipal Services Bureau

If you choose to file a civil lawsuit in a federal or state court against the Municipal Services Bureau, the FDCPA permits you to sue for up to $1,000 in damages. Before your case appears in court you must have all the relevant evidence to present at the lawsuit. This includes the name of the collection agency, the times and dates of phone calls made to you, and the name of the individual debt collector, along with a description showing how the debt collector violated the law. If you win the lawsuit, it does not mean you do not pay what you owe.

How a Lawyer Can Help With a Claim for a FDCPA Violation

You may think that you have a straight forward case when it comes to proving the debt collector violated the law, but you should know that a lawyer has a better chance of winning the lawsuit on your behalf.

Additional Resources

*Disclaimer: The content of this article serves only to provide information and should not be constructed as legal advice. If you file a claim against Municipal Services Bureau or any other third-party collection agency, you may not be entitled to any compensation.

Free Case Evaluation

    1. Please fill out your contact information:

    2. Has a debt collection done any of the following:

    By submitting above, I agree to the privacy policy and disclaimer and consent to be contacted by an agent via phone call or text message at the phone number(s) listed above, including wireless number(s). Calls may be auto-dialed/pre-recorded. Consent is not required to utilize our services.