Back to top

What To Do If Municipal Services Bureau Sues You*

Stop The Harassment

You have legal rights. We can help.


It started with a couple of letters requesting payment to take care of a delinquent credit card account. You ignored the letters and a few weeks later, the phone calls at home and at work began to come at all hours of the day.

Then, just when you thought the debt collection agency lost the resolve to track you down and try to make you pay, you received a formal letter stating the third party debt collector has initiated a lawsuit against you.

How do You Respond to a Bill Collector’s Lawsuit?

A debt collection agency such as Municipal Services Bureau must properly serve a lawsuit. You cannot avoid the lawsuit by refusing to sign the legal document that verifies you received notice of the lawsuit. In fact, ignoring a lawsuit filed by a third party debt collector is a recipe for disaster.

The court where the lawsuit is being filed will recognize the lawsuit as properly served, whether you acknowledge the lawsuit or not.

Learning about a lawsuit filed by a bill collector will heighten already high anxiety levels. However, by working with a licensed consumer protection attorney, you have a good chance of at least reaching some type of debt settlement with Municipal Services Bureau.

Responding to a Debt Collection Agency Lawsuit

The only thing certain about a lawsuit filed by a third party debt collector is that each case is covered by a landmark consumer protection law called the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA).

Passed by the United States Congress in 1977, the FDCPA contains dozens of provisions that outlaw previously acceptable debt collection practices. The FDCPA also outlines specific ways consumers can handle the debt collection tactics of companies like Municipal Services Bureau.

One way to address a debt collection agency lawsuit involves writing a debt settlement letter. This is an effective tactic to help you avoid a prolonged legal battle. However, a debt settlement letter is effective only if you have an experienced FDCPA lawyer write it.

Your attorney will present the case that you can afford to pay back a certain amount over a period that spans several months or a few years. The key is to persuade Municipal Services Bureau that you cannot afford to pay back the entire amount of the outstanding debt.

What To Do If Municipal Services Bureau Sues You*

A bill collector sent you a letter informing you of a lawsuit. What if the third party debt collector violated one or more provisions of the FDCPA during the course of the debt collection process? The answer is you have the right to file a counter claim against the debt collection agency for violating the FDCPA.

Your claim can seek monetary damages for a number of illegal debt collection practices.

Physical distress represents the most common reason why consumers file FDCPA claims. From breaking out in skin rashes to developing a life threatening ulcer, the fear and stress of having a bill collector hound you can cause considerable physical duress.

Your FDCPA lawyer will advise you on how to proceed with a lawsuit seeking monetary damages, as well as present medical evidence that confirms your physically debilitating symptoms.

Speak with a FDCPA lawyer today to learn more about how to handle a lawsuit filed by Municipal Services Bureau.

Additional Resources

*Disclaimer: The content of this article serves only to provide information and should not be constructed as legal advice. If you file a claim against Municipal Services Bureau or any other third-party collection agency, you may not be entitled to any compensation.