Skip to content
Where to Report an FDCPA Violation
Free Legal Help

Where to Report an FDCPA Violation by the CBE Group*

Stop the

You have legal rights. We can help.


Debt collectors like the CBE Group are often used to try and recover debts. Their actions are regulated by state and federal government laws like the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA). This law prevents the collector from continually contacting you day and night in an attempt to get you to pay back debts you owe a third party. If you believe you are being harassed by an over persistent debt collector, then you have the right to report the collector if it is violating the FDCPA or a similar state fair debt collection law.

How to Report a FDCPA Violation by the CBE Group

As both state and federal laws are in place to prevent over-zealous behavior from debt collectors, there are ways you can report violations. In your own state, for instance, it is worth contacting the office of the state Attorney General. If the Attorney General’s office believes that the debt collector is breaking state laws on fair debt collection practices it can take appropriate legal action against the collector, including imposing a fine.

A federal agency, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) can act to protect consumers from unfair practice within the financial industry. Any complaint you make will be investigated and appropriate legal action may be taken by the CFPB if it believes the FDCPA has been violated. Alternatively, the CFPB may advise the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) which can take legal action itself against an unfair collector, including levying fines and preventing further harassment.

How the Better Business Bureau Can Help in Negotiations Over Disputes

You can also contact the Better Business Bureau (BBB) within your state about any dispute between you and the debt collector. The BBB doesn’t have the same authority to take legal action as the CFPB or state Attorney General’s office, but it can play a part in mediation between you and the collector in the event of a dispute.

Where to Report an FDCPA Violation by the CBE Group*

Filing a Lawsuit Against the CBE Group

The last resort against an overbearing debt collector is to file a lawsuit against them. It pays to have evidence that the collector is violating state or federal fair debt collection laws such as the FDCPA. Evidence may be in the form of dates and times showing unreasonable behavior from the collector.

If you file a lawsuit against the CBE Group or other debt collector, you must do it within 12 months of the violation occurring and any damages claimed are limited to a maximum of $1,000.

Even if you win a lawsuit, it doesn’t mean that you do not have to repay the money you owe, unless the collector was pursuing a fraudulent debt.

How a Lawyer Can Help With a Claim for a FDCPA Violation

Taking legal action against an over-zealous debt collector who is violating state or federal laws on debt collection can be a challenging and intimidating experience. You are strongly advised to have legal representation throughout by an experienced lawyer.

Additional Resources

*Disclaimer: The content of this article serves only to provide information and should not be constructed as legal advice. If you file a claim against the CBE Group, or any other third-party collection agency, you may not be entitled to any compensation.

Free Case Evaluation

    1. Please fill out your contact information:

    2. Has a debt collection done any of the following:

    By submitting above, I agree to the privacy policy and disclaimer and consent to be contacted by an agent via phone call or text message at the phone number(s) listed above, including wireless number(s). Calls may be auto-dialed/pre-recorded. Consent is not required to utilize our services.