In 1977, the United States Congress passed the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) in order to protect consumers against from harassment measures taken by third party debt collection agencies.
Despite that law in order, debt collectors routinely violate it by using false, deceptive, and misleading means to collect a debt. Debt collectors often use other harassing measures such as threatening legal action against consumers.
The FDCPA Does Not Allow Debt Collectors to Sue You
The FDCPA has clear language written into it that threatening legal action against a consumer is considered illegal. Unfortunately, threatening to sue consumers is a common intimidation tactic that third party debt collection agencies use. If a third party debt collection agency threatens to see you, then that collection agency is in clear violation of the FDCPA.
What You Can Do
If a debt collection agency is threatening legal action against you, you may want to seek the counsel of an FDCPA attorney. Working with an attorney can be beneficial as he or she will be able to let you know the necessary steps it will take to win against a third party debt collection agency.
An attorney will be able to help gather all the evidence and can either negotiate a settlement with the third party collection agency or prepare for trial.
Here is some more information on what to do if some of the country's biggest debt collectors threatens legal action against you.
- Account Services Collections, Inc.
- Ad Astra Recovery Services, Inc.
- Amcol Systems
- Atlantic Credit & Finance
- Avante USA, Ltd.
- Capio Partners, LLC
- CBE Group
- Commonwealth Financial Systems
- Consumer Portfolio Services, Inc
- Crendence Resources Management, LLC
- CMRE Financial Services, Inc.
- Glass Mountain Capital, LLC
- Hillcrest, Davidson, and Associates, LLC
- Hunter Warfield
- IMC Credit Services, LLC
- IQ Data International
- Linebarger, Goggan, Blair & Sampson, LLP
- Lockhart, Morris & Montgomery, Inc.
- McCarthy, Burgess, & Wolff
- Medical Financial Solutions
- Monarch Recovery Management, Inc.
- MRS Associates
- Municipal Services Bureau
- National Recoveries, Inc.
- NCB Management Services
- Paramount Recovery Systems
- Prince Parker and Associates
- Professional Account Management
- Rash Curtis & Associates
- Recovery Solutions Group
- Roquemore & Roquemore, Inc.
- Sequium Asset Solutions, Inc.
- SRS & Associates
- Scott & Associates
- Vital Recovery Services