Skip to content
What to Do If a Debt Collection Agency Threatens Legal Action
Free Legal Help

What To Do If MRS Associates Is Threatening Legal Action*

Stop the

You have legal rights. We can help.


MRS Associates is a third-party collection agency that has been in business since 1991. They are in New Jersey. They collect delinquent debts for student loan, auto loan, telecom, healthcare, and credit card clients. The FDCPA was enacted to protect consumers – like you – from illegal debt collection practices and to prevent harassment. If you are being harassed by MRS Associates, you do have rights.

How To Respond To A Lawsuit From MRS Associates

Always keep receipts and proof of payments for any debts. Keep correspondence, such as statements and letters. Documentation is essential to showing that you made payments and to show the amount of the debt. If you don’t think you owe as much as MRS Associates claims, or if you believe you don’t owe that debt at all, you can legally ask them to validate the debt. They must provide convincing evidence that shows you are responsible for it and the amount owed.
You should retain an FDCPA attorney in your state to refute the legal action filed by MRS Associates. If you do owe the debt, then you can negotiate a settlement for much less than what you actually owe for the bill in question.

Damages You Could Receive From MRS Associates

If you are being harassed by MRS Associates, you could suffer damages. If the FDCPA or state and local laws are violated during the collections process, you can file a claim against MRS Associates. There are some damages that are more often recovered in such situations. Here are a few damages you might want to consider.

  • Emotional distress – You can suffer from emotional distress from the constant calls and threats. This can affect your ability to work and perform other tasks, and also has an impact on relationships.
  • Lost wages – Any emotional or physical distress could affect your ability to work and will lead to loss of income. If have reduced production at work that affects income, or if you miss work, you don’t get paid. If you suffered lost wages, you can ask MRS Associates to pay you back.
  • Recovery of wage garnishment – If your wages were illegally garnished by MRS Associates, you can ask that they reimburse you.
  • Statutory damages – If the FDCPA was violated by MRS Associates, but you cannot claim damages for emotional distress or physical distress, you can file a claim to ask for $1,000 in statutory damages.
  • Physical distress – Harassment from a debt collector can lead to physical ailments. You can suffer stress-induced anxiety, high blood pressure, cardiac conditions, panic attacks, insomnia, and migraines.
  • Legal fees –Ask the court to ensure MRS Associates is held responsible for any of the legal fees, court costs, and attorney’s fees you incur because of the harassment you suffered.
  • Injunctive relief – Ask MRS Associates to cease and desist all collection activities regarding your debt, so they cannot contact you or your associates.

What to Do If MRS Associates* Is Threatens Legal Action

Talk To An FDCPA Attorney Today

If you are being threatened with legal action by MRS Associates, you should retain the services of an FDCPA attorney who is licensed in your state.

Additional Resources:

*Disclaimer: The content of this article serves only to provide information and should not be construed as legal advice. If you file a claim against MRS Associates or any other third-party collection agency, you may not be entitled to receive any compensation.

Free Case Evaluation

    1. Please fill out your contact information:

    2. Has a debt collection done any of the following:

    By submitting above, I agree to the privacy policy and disclaimer and consent to be contacted by an agent via phone call or text message at the phone number(s) listed above, including wireless number(s). Calls may be auto-dialed/pre-recorded. Consent is not required to utilize our services.