Is T K Credit Recovery calling you? Here's what you need to know.
As a society, Americans carry a significant amount of debt. Unfortunately, those who diligently attempt to pay their monthly obligations can fall behind due to job loss, an illness that impairs the ability to work, or a significant financial setback. Not only can falling behind on your credit card or cell phone bill harm your credit score, it can also result in calls from debt collectors. If this happens to you, it is important to know that there are certain behaviours you don’t have to tolerate.
Your Rights Under the FDCPA
A consumer protection law called the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) restricts what third-party debt collectors can say or do when attempting to collect a consumer debt. Actions like those below are illegal, and punishable by fines and / or license revocation.
- Cursing at and threatening you
- Calling at inconvenient times, namely before 8:00 a.m. and after 9:00 p.m. in your time zone
- Contacting you at work when they know that your boss does not allow you to take such calls
- Talking to your friends, neighbors, and coworkers about the debt
- Failing to identify themselves as debt collectors seeking to collect a debt
- Reporting inaccurate information to the credit bureaus
Company Profile: T K Credit Recovery
T K Credit Recovery is a collection agency located in Pinole, California. It was established in 2003, has less than 10 employees, and is managed by owner Eric Kaasa. According to the litigation records archived at the PACER (Public Access to Court Electronic Records) website, the agency has been accused of debt collection practices that violate the FDCPA.
Alleged Violations against T K Credit Recovery
Sharon Walker vs. T K Credit Recovery
In 2009, California resident Sharon Walker began getting collection calls from T K Credit Recovery. She later complained that a company representative named ‘Jennifer’ called her workplace even after being advised that she could not speak to them there, and even asked to speak to her supervisor and the HR department. Jennifer also allegedly threatened to have her wages garnished and implied that she was calling from an attorney’s office.
Ms. Walker hired a consumer attorney and sued T K Credit Recovery for allegedly violating the FDCPA in the following ways:
- Contacting a third party for purposes other than obtaining location information
- Calling her at times or places which were known or should have been known to be inconvenient for her
- Threatening legal action that was never taken
- Causing her phone to ring repeatedly and continuously with the intent to annoy or harass her
- Falsely representing that an attorney was calling
The matter was later settled.
Hire an Attorney
The phone numbers for T K Credit Recovery are 1-866-207-9075 and 1-510-724-2602. If either of these numbers appear on your caller ID, it means that a debt collector is calling. If T K Credit Recovery agents call several times a day, ignore your request not to contact you at work, or discuss your debt with third parties, hire a consumer attorney who can help you prepare a lawsuit. You could potentially receive $1,000 per FDCPA violation as well as attorney's fees, court costs, and any actual damages. When debt collectors ignore your rights, you may be entitled to compensation that exceeds the original debt.
*Case taken from PACER (www.pacer.gov). File number is 2:09-cv-03602-FCD-EFB from United States District Court, Eastern District of California
Disclaimer: The content of this article serves only to provide information and should not be constructed as legal advice. If you file a claim against T K Credit Recovery, or any other third-party collection agency, you may not be entitled to any compensation.