Every year, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau receives thousands of complaints from consumers who claim to have been harassed by debt collectors. These debtors felt so threatened by the collector’s demands that they sought legal counsel to bring the unwanted contact to an end.
Your Rights Under the FDCPA
The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) prohibits collection agencies from behaving in ways that alarm, humiliate, and cause distress to consumers. It restricts what these debt collectors can do to collect a debt, and bans tactics like those listed below.
- Using profane or obscene language
- Publicly posting details of a debt on social media and other public outlets
- Telling your friends, neighbors, and co-workers that you owe money
- Pretending to be members of law enforcement
- Telling you that you have committed a crime and will be arrested if you don’t pay
- Calling at inconvenient times, such as before 8:00 a.m. and after 9:00 p.m. in your time zone
Company Profile: Kubler Corporation
If you are being called by Kubler Corporation, more information about the agency is below.
Kubler Corporation, which also does business as Alternative Recovery Management, is a collection agency located in La Mesa, California. It was founded in 1994, has 28 employees, and is managed by its President, Paul Kubler.
The PACER website contains litigation records confirming that consumers who believed that they were being harassed by Kubler Corporation refused to pay debts they couldn’t afford or didn’t owe.
Alleged Violations against Kubler Corporation
According to PACER, in or around January 2010, Kubler Corporation began contacting a California consumer to collect a medical debt. Every time they called her, she stated that she was represented by an attorney regarding the debt.
Through her attorney, she disputed the debt but the collection attempts allegedly continued.
Feeling harassed by Kubler Corporation, the consumer filed an FDCPA lawsuit against the company for allegedly:
- Communicating false information to the credit bureaus
- Misrepresenting the character, amount, or legal status of the debt
- Using false, deceptive, and misleading means to collect a debt
- Persisting in trying to collect a disputed debt
A judge later ruled in favor of the plaintiff.
Hire a Consumer Lawyer
The phone number for this debt collection agency is 1-619-469-6194. Its presence on your caller ID confirms that you are being called by Kubler Corporation.
If they harass you over a disputed debt and ignore the fact that you have an attorney, seek compensation by hiring a consumer lawyer and filing a claim against Kubler Corporation You could receive $1,000 in statutory damages, so when a collection agency harasses you, call a lawyer.
Case taken from PACER (pacer.gov). File number is Case 5:12-cv-00369-LHK from the United States District Court for the Northern District of California.
*Disclaimer: The content of this article serves only to provide information and should not be constructed as legal advice. If you file a claim against Kubler Corporation or any other third-party collection agency, you may not be entitled to any compensation.