Is a debt collector calling you every day at home and work, making payment demands you can’t really afford? If they tell you that they have the right to contact you until the debt is paid, they’re wrong. Learn more about your rights as an indebted consumer in this type of situation.
Your Rights Under the FDCPA
The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, or FDCPA, was passed in 1977 to protect consumers from being harassed into bankruptcy. It allows you to sue a company that mistreats you in ways like the following:
● Leaving voice messages that do not identify them as debt collectors
● Posing as law enforcement officers to scare you into paying
● Adding illegal service fees to the original debt
● Calling you at work when they know that your boss doesn’t allow such calls
● Threatening to publish your name on a debtor’s list
● Harassing you over a debt that isn’t legally yours
Company Profile: JC Christensen & Associates
If you are being called by JC Christensen & Associates, more information about the agency is detailed below.
JC Christensen & Associates is a debt collection agency in Sartell, Minnesota. It opened for business in 2004, has 150 employees, and is managed by owner Chad Lemke. An examination of archived litigation records at the PACER website confirms that consumers who believed that they were being harassed by JC Christensen & Associates took measures to protect their rights.
Alleged Violations against JC Christensen & Associates*
According to information on the PACER website, in or around mid-2007, JC Christensen & Associates started contacting a Florida couple to collect a debt that they denied owing. The husband stated that collectors called him every day despite repeated requests to stop and that they threatened to damage his credit if he didn’t pay.
Feeling harassed by JC Christensen & Associates, the consumers hired an attorney and sued the company for:
● Threatening to communicate false credit information
● Misrepresenting the legal status of the debt
● Using false, deceptive, and misleading means to collect a debt
● Using unfair and unconscionable means to collect a debt
● Using harassing and abusive means to collect a debt
The matter was later settled.
Hire a Consumer Lawyer
The phone numbers for this debt collection agency are:
Seeing them on your caller ID at any time is confirmation that JC Christensen & Associates is trying to collect money from you. If they try to threaten you into paying a debt you don’t legally owe, hire a consumer lawyer and file a claim against JC Christensen & Associates. You could be awarded $1,000 per FDCPA violation. Don’t let a collection agency bully you when you have remedies under the law.
*Case taken from PACER (www.pacer.gov). Case 8:07-cv-01912-JSM-MAP from the United States District Court for the District of Florida, Manatee County Division.
Disclaimer: The content of this article serves only to provide information and should not be constructed as legal advice. If you file a claim against JC Christensen & Associates. or any other third-party collection agency, you may not be entitled to any compensation.