Are You Being Called By Citimortgage, Inc.*? Here's What You Need to Know
In December 2017, the Washington Post reported thousands of people are being contacted by collection agencies about overdue debts. While such communications are legal, harassment is not. It’s a distinction that many debt collectors deliberately ignore.
Your Rights Under the FDCPA
The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, or FDCPA, prohibits unethical collection tactics like those below. Any third-party collection agency that uses them faces fines and even license revocation.
- Using an autodialer to call you
- Demanding amounts inflated by ‘service charges’ and other miscellaneous fees
- Refusing or failing to validate the debt and prove that they are authorized to collect it
- Pretending to be attorneys or police officers
- Ignoring a formal cease communications request
- Calling you before 8:00 a.m. and after 9:00 p.m. in your time zone
Company Profile: Citimortgage, Inc.
If you are being called by Citimortgage, Inc., here is some more information about the company and its operations:
Citimortgage, Inc. is a mortgage servicer headquartered in O'Fallon, Missouri. It was founded in 1979, has 3758 employees, and is managed by Jane Fraser. Litigation records at the PACER website confirm that consumers who believed that they were being harassed by Citimortgage, Inc. took a stand and challenged the company to prove its claims.
Alleged Violations against Citimortgage, Inc.**
According to PACER, on or around March 18, 2009, Citimortgage, Inc. began sending collection letters to a California consumer to collect an alleged mortgage debt. She believed that the loan had been forgiven in full and refused to pay, so the company allegedly threatened to begin monthly property inspections and charge her for them as well as accelerate the amount that was allegedly due.
Feeling harassed by Citimortgage, Inc., she hired a consumer attorney and sued the company for allegedly:
- Continuing to contact her after she refused to pay
- Using harassing and abusive means to collect a debt
- Using false, deceptive, and misleading means to collect a debt
The matter was later settled.
Hire a Consumer Lawyer
The phone numbers for this debt collection agency are:
If any of them appear on your caller ID, Citimortgage, Inc. is on the line and seeking to collect money from you. If you refuse to pay and they threaten you with financial consequences, hire a consumer lawyer and file a claim against Citimortgage, Inc. You could receive $1,000 per FDCPA violation and payment of your reasonable legal fees, so fight back when you know that you are in the right.
- Can a Debt Collector Collect Old Debts?
- Has a Debt Collector Tried to Collect a Debt you Already Paid?
**Case taken from PACER (pacer.gov). File number is Case 2:11-cv-00986-MCE-EFB from the United States District Court for the Eastern District of California.
*Disclaimer: The content of this article serves only to provide information and should not be constructed as legal advice. If you file a claim against Citimortgage, Inc. or any other third-party collection agency, you may not be entitled to any compensation.