Did you know that a debt collector cannot contact a third party about your alleged debts? If they were to contact a family member, coworker, friend, etc. and disclose information about your debt then they are in violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA). Because of this, if a collection agency discloses information about your debt to a third party, you may be eligible for up to $1,000 in damages.
What Third Parties Can Debt Collector Contact?
Your debt cannot be discussed with anyone that is not involved. This means that if you lived with a family member, the debt collector can only ask about you whereabouts and the best way to contact you. They cannot bring up the debt or discuss the debt.
The only time a spouse can be contacted about the debt would be if the debt is in both of your names or if you give the debt collector permission to speak to your spouse about the debt. Any other times that a debt is disclosed to a spouse is in violation of the FDCPA.
If a Third Party Is Contacted
If a debt collector contacts a third party about your debt, then you may be able to seek damages. You should consult with a consumer rights attorney. With assistance from a lawyer, you have a better chance of winning your case, getting the debt collectors to stop using embarassing means to collect your debt as well as receive compensation for damages. Complete the Free Case Evaluation on this page to find an attorney that takes cases in your area today!
If a specific debt collection agency has contacted a third party about your debt, find out what to do:
- Ability Recovery Services
- Account Services Collections, Inc.
- Ace Cash Express, Inc.
- Action Financial Services
- Ad Astra Recovery Services, Inc.
- Advanced Capital Solutions, Inc.
- Affiliate Asset Solution, LLC
- Aldous & Associates, PLLC
- Atlantic Credit & Finance
- Arnold Scott Harris, PLLC
- Audit Systems, Inc
- Avante USA, LTD
- Bernstein, Shapiro, & Associates, Llc
- Capio Partners, LLC
- Carson Smithfield, LLC
- CCS Companies
- CRME Financial Services, Inc.
- Commonwealth Financial System
- Consumer Portfolio Services, INC
- Covington Credit
- Credence Resources Management, LLC
- DCM Services
- Debt Management Partners, LLC
- Delta Outsource Group, INC
- Direct Recovery Associates
- Elite Recovery Services
- FH Cann & Associates, Inc.
- Glass Mountain Capital, LLC
- Global Collection Agency
- Global Credit and Collection
- Harris & Harris, Ltd
- Hillcrest, Davidson, & Associates, LLC
- Hunter Warfield, Inc.
- I.Q. Data International, Inc.
- JTM Management, LLC
- Linebarger, Goggan, Blair & Sampson, LLP
- Lockhart, Morris & Montgomery, Inc.
- McCarthy Burgess & Wolff
- Medical Financial Solutions
- Monarch Recovery Management, Inc.
- MRS Associates
- Municipal Services Bureau
- National Recoveries, Inc.
- Paramount Recovery Systems
- Prince Parker & Associates
- Radius Global Solutions, LLC
- Rash Curtis & Associates
- Recovery Solutions Group
- Sequium Asset Solutions, Inc.
- SIMM Associates, Inc.
- SRS & Associates, Inc
- Synerprise Consulting Services, Inc.