Rash Curtis & Associates is a third-party debt collector that either partners with creditors to collect past-due debts, or that buys delinquent accounts from creditors so they can collect them and earn profit.
If Rash Curtis & Associates has filed a lawsuit against you, you should respond to the compliant to avoid a judgment being awarded to the collection agency against you. If you don’t respond to the lawsuit, the court will assume the complaint is accurate.
You should meet with an FDCPA attorney, read over the lawsuit in detail, and then respond by the specified deadline.
How To Respond To A Lawsuit From Rash Curtis & Associates
Don’t assume the details in a complaint filed by Rash Curtis & Associates is accurate. Instead, you should carefully read over the complaint. Gather up your documentation, such as proof of payments made so you can dispute the amount of the debt.
If you acknowledge that you owe the debt, you can contact Rash Curtis & Associates and attempt to settle, which will cost you much less than the face amount of the balance.
Damages You Could Receive From Rash Curtis & Associates
If the FDCPA was violated by Rash Curtis & Associates, you can file a complaint against them to recover compensation for the damages that you suffered because of their violation of the laws established to protect borrowers.
There are many ways that you could suffer losses because of their violations, so you can claim multiple damages in your complaint. Here are some ways you could have been affected by the unscrupulous collection practices of Rash Curtis & Associates:
- Statutory damages – You can recoup as much as $1,000 in statutory damages from Rash Curtis & Associates if you can prove the FDCPA was violated.
- Physical distress – If Rash Curtis & Associates harasses you when collecting the debt, you can suffer physically. Physical distress might include sleep disturbances, migraines, rashes, depression, anxiety, stress-induced heart problems, high blood pressure, and tension headaches.
- Emotional distress – The stress from collecting the debt and the repetitive harassment might lead to emotional problems and affect relationships.
- Lost wages – If Rash Curtis & Associates causes physical or emotional distress that causes you to miss work, or if their repeated calls affect productivity that affects your wages, you can recoup lost wages.
- Recovery of wage garnishment – If Rash Curtis & Associates violated the FDCPA and that caused a wage garnishment, you can recover those garnished wages.
- Legal fees – If you show that Rash Curtis & Associates violated the FDCPA, the court can order them to pay attorney fees and legal fees.
Injunctive relief from Rash Curtis & Associates is also available. They can be ordered to cease and desist, stopping all phone and written contact with you, your family, or your employer. This can help reduce your stress significantly.
Talk To An FDCPA Attorney Today
If Rash Curtis & Associates has threatened you with a lawsuit, talk with an FDCPA lawyer who is licensed in your state. That way, you can properly determine the best way to handle your situation.
*Disclaimer: The content of this article serves only to provide information and should not be construed as legal advice. If you file a claim against Rash Curtis & Associates or any other third-party collection agency, you may not be entitled to receive any compensation.