What to Do If a Collection Agency Sues You?
Free Legal Help
What To Do If Harris & Harris Ltd. Sues You*
You have legal rights. We can help.
If Harris & Harris Ltd., which is a debt collection agency, file a lawsuit against you, you will need to respond to the lawsuit. You can enlist the help of an FDCPA attorney for this. You will need to carefully read the lawsuit then respond to it by the deadline in the document.
If you don’t respond to the lawsuit, the court will most likely award them a judgment against you, as they request in their filing. Failing to respond will give the court the assumption that you owe the debt and that you are responsible.
How To Respond To A Lawsuit From Harris & Harris Ltd.
Harris & Harris Ltd. could summons you to court over a delinquent debt. If you think you have paid the debt in full, you should gather up documentation and take along proof of your payments. If you do owe the debt, you could respond by saying that you would like to work with them to settle the debt.
You could ask Harris & Harris Ltd. to settle the debt with you for a fraction of what you owe the original creditor.
Damages You Could Receive From Harris & Harris Ltd.
If you think that Harris & Harris Ltd. is harassing you in their attempts to collect the debt, you can recover damages for their violations. Illegal debt collection practices could lead to many losses. Some of those damages you could recover include:
- Physical distress – Dealing with the harassment can stress you out, and it can cause migraines, muscle aches, rashes, and stress-induced heart problems.
- Emotional distress – You can have your emotional well-being affected by the debt collector’s behavior and tactics. It could affect your relationships and can cause depression, mental anguish, and panic attacks.
- Lost wages – The debt collector’s harassment can cause you to lose productivity and could even disrupt performance. If you suffered lost wages because of the debt collector, you could recover those losses.
- Recovery of wage garnishment – If your wages had been garnished through an FDCPA violation, the money garnished unfairly or illegally can be recovered.
- Statutory damages – You can collect up to $1,000 in compensation from Harris & Harris Ltd. if you can prove they violated the FDCPA and you don’t have proof of any physical or emotional distress or lost wages; you can recover up to $1,000 for the violation.
- Attorneys’ fees – If you successfully show there was an FDCPA violation, the court could order Harris & Harris Ltd. to cover your attorney’s fees as well as any court costs.
- Injunctive relief – In addition to any monetary award for damages, the court could order Harris & Harris Ltd. to stop calling your home, relatives, friends, place of employment, and other associates. They can no longer send written communication as well, which will put an end to all harassment.
Talk To An FDCPA Attorney Today
If Harris & Harris Ltd. is threatening you with a lawsuit, consult with an FDCPA attorney. A lawyer will be able to help you determine which steps to take regarding the debt collection issue with Harris & Harris Ltd. Get your free case review today.
*Disclaimer: The content of this article serves only to provide information and should not be construed as legal advice. If you file a claim against Harris & Harris Ltd. or any other third-party collection agency, you may not be entitled to receive any compensation.