When a debt collection company like Gatestone & CO International, Inc, files a lawsuit against you it can be scary, but you need to respond to the suit. You can represent yourself or you can get help from an attorney that has experience in dealing with the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. When you receive notification that a suit has been filed against you it’s important that you read the information in the suit paperwork carefully. You need to respond before the deadline or else a judge will probably issue a judgement against you just because you didn’t respond within the time limit.
How to Respond to a Debt Collector Lawsuit
Gatestone & Co International, Inc can file a lawsuit and summon you to go to court over your debt. If you have been paying on the debt you will need to show all of your payments in court, so make sure that you have copies of your receipts, money transfers, checks, or other documentation of your payments. If you haven’t paid anything on the debt you can respond to the suit by offering to settle the debt for a fraction of the original debt. If the debt collector agrees you could close the debt for a small percentage of the debt but you would have to pay the agreed amount immediately.
Damages You May Be Entitled To:
If you believe that Gatestone & Co International, Inc has harassed you by calling you at work, calling you outside of the hours specified in the FDCPA, or has been abusive when dealing with you then you can file a claim against them for damages due to the harassment. You could be entitled to damages for things like:
- Physical Distress – If you can’t sleep or have other physical illness symptoms due to the stress caused by the harassment the company could have to pay you for that.
- Lost Wages – Did you take time off work to deal with the debt collection company or take time off because you were getting collection calls at work? The debt collector could have to pay for your lost wages.
- Statutory Damages – A debt collector that violates the FDCPA could owe you up to $1000 as a penalty for violating the FDCPA.
- Emotional Distress – If the harassment caused you to suffer from depression or anxiety you could be entitled to financial damages for that pain and suffering.
Talk to an Attorney Today:
If you’re being threatened with a lawsuit by a debt collector or if you have a lawsuit pending against you talk with an experienced FDCPA attorney. An attorney that specializes in debt collection and the FDCPA can give you the right advice for your personal situation and help you get this debt taken care of once and for all so that you can go on with your life.
- Going to Court Against Gatestone & Co. International Inc.
- Is Gatestone & Co International Inc Calling You?
*Disclaimer: The content of this article serves only to provide information and should not be constructed as legal advice. If you file a claim against Gatestone & Co International, Inc or any other third-party collection agency, you may not be entitled to any compensation.