Many people acquire debt at some point in their lives. If your debt was sold to a third party debt collection agency, you may feel overwhelmed by the agency’s tireless efforts to get you to pay. It is important to know that there are regulations on the actions a debt collection agency can take.
The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) prohibits collection agencies from employing certain tactics, such as making threats or calling in the middle of the night. If a debt collection agency has violated a provision of the FDCPA, you should report this violation to the appropriate authority.
Where to Report
Where you report an FDCPA violation depends on what laws are being violated. In general, because the FDCPA is a federal law, violations can be reported to government agencies. However, if a state law is being violated in addition to the FDCPA, you can also report the violation to your state attorney general.
If you wish to negotiate a settlement with the debt collection agency, the Better Business Bureau can aid you in negotiating a dispute. In addition, if you feel that your rights under the FDCPA have been violated, you can file a lawsuit against the collection agency. An FDCPA attorney can help you with your claim and increase your chances of success.
Here is more information on what to do if you would like to report a specific agency for violating the FDCPA:
- Account Services Collections, Inc.
- Ad Astra Recovery Services, Inc
- Amcol Systems Inc.
- Atlantic Credit & Finance
- Audit Systems, Inc.
- Avante USA Ltd
- Capio Partners, LLC
- CBE Group
- CCS Companies
- CMRE Financial Services, Inc.
- Commonwealth Financial System
- Consumer Portfolio Services, Inc.
- Credence Resources Management, LLC
- Donald R. Conrad
- FH Cann & Associates, Inc.
- Glass Mountain Capital, LLC
- Global Collection Agency
- Global Credit & Collection
- Harris & Harris Ltd
- Hillcrest, Davidson & Associates
- Hunter Warfield Inc.
- IMC Credit Services, LLC
- IQ Data International, Inc
- Linebarger, Goggan, Blair & Sampson, LLP
- Lockhart, Morris, & Montgomery, Inc
- McCarthy, Burgess & Wolff
- Medical Financial Solutions
- Monarch Recovery Management Inc.
- MRS Associates
- Municipal Services Bureau
- National Commercial Services, Inc
- NCB Management Services, Inc
- Paramount Recovery Systems
- Prince, Parker & Associates
- Professional Account Management LLC
- Radius Solutions LLC
- Rash Curtis & Associates
- Recovery Solutions Group
- Roquemore & Roquemore Inc
- Scott & Associates
- Sequium Asset Solutions, Inc
- Synerprise Consulting Services Inc
- Vital Recovery Services